Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First post from 2010

Whew what a day! 
Its Indian Summer here in the Southeast.
Temperatures are running about 95 degrees in September!

I've been looking at the 1500 acre map for about 3 weeks.
It is well marked with 80 miles of trails, varying in difficulty.
I have been able to follow the trails up and down the contour lines with a highlighter in an attempt to pre-route the possibilities... 

The Goal...
1. Create a course that is demanding yet not very technical.
2. Create a course that is spectator friendly 
3. Use the existing trail systems...

I am using an Android phone and an app called "SPORTS TRACKER PRO".
I am then cross referencing the data with the 6 foot long map that the county was so gracious to provide me. 
So far so good.
Aside from losing about 6lbs during my exploration at 2:00 pm in the , I DID NOT  lose my way.

I am pretty sure footed when it comes to maps and orienteering and to trek/ design a race using this method was a blast.
Preliminary results..
Well this was a great deal easier than back in 1993 when 'BLK MRKT RACING' roots.  All I had then was my bike and an idea of where to go....
GPS on a cell phone was unheard of!

I think I have done what I wanted to do.... create a course that was non-technical yet demanding...complete with switch backs, 
 
I have posted the PRELIMINARY course map with profile and map on 'course description page

 

No comments: